Powered by Blogger.

Home

Wasted on you

Sunday, November 7, 2010

With just two days until the Gold Coast Film Festival, what better time to preview the opening night film Wasted On The Young. When filmmaker Ben C. Lucas sat down to write his debut feature film, Wasted On The Young, he had a clear vision (above). He wanted a Greek Tragedy set within an Australian highschool. The result has been described as a cross between Gus Van Sant's Elephant and the hit show Gossip Girl, as the nature of morality and justice are examined within the social jungle.
``I modelled it on those classic plays that are about murdering a king and those politics, with the potential queen and the underdog,'' says Lucas.

The story is a stylised look at the distinction between the have and the have not's and follows outsider Darren (Oliver Ackland, below) as he attempts to deliver his own brand of justice after an incident at a party involving his stepbrother Zack (Alex Russell) and crush Xandrie (Adelaide Clemens). It is in the aftermath of the incident that some of the more complex themes and issues are raised, says Lucas.
``The catch phrase that we were throwing around when shooting was that society mistakes getting away with something as being okay,'' he says.
``It's not enough for it to be morally right or okay, it's getting away with it.
``Everyone relaxes as soon as we get away with it.'' After being homeschooled when he was younger, Lucas says a lot of the ideas in the film are based on his experiences when he started high school.
`` I was thrust into a very peculiar world and I had an outsiders view of how that all ran,'' he says.
``The people who get away with stuff, it's not that they're inherently evil or set out to be, it's that they're given permission to be that way.
``The characters just evolved out of figuring out the story and I'm sure some of them are people I've known, but not by design.
``I completely rejected the idea that the character of Darren was anything like me, then at end of production process one of the editors said `Darren is basically you, isn't he Ben?'
``And I was like `no, no, no, ah, well, actually . . .''


After Wasted On The Young wowed critics at its international premiere at the Toronto International Film Festival in September, Lucas has been tagged as one of the hottest new directors on the scene. He has been in Los Angeles for several weeks, meeting with Hollywood executives about future projects and says it has been `a very exciting experience'.
``I've been reading a lot of scripts and going to a lot of meetings,'' he says.
``I don't know what the next project is, but I know what kind of project I want it to be.
``I'm very long term and I don't want to be just some director for hire.
``I don't want to become swallowed by the Hollywood machine and be someone who after they get a lot of attention ends up doing Spiderman 8.
``I would like to build a body of work and build a reputation.'' Wasted On The Young opens the Gold Coast Film Festival on Wednesday, November 10 at 6.30pm at Birch Carroll and Coyle Cinemas Australia Fair. It has been tagged with a March 2011 release date so best to catch it here a few months earlier and whilst star Alex Russell is there to introduce it.

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP