Powered by Blogger.

Home

Bashing iCapital and Tan Teng Boo for No Reason?

Thursday, May 22, 2008

Received the following comments on the following posting, A Look At iCapital's Buy Call on NasionCom!

  • 廖福深 said...
    I feel sad for TTB because some people here just like to bash people on some small mistakes. TTB has been in the market for a long long time and I don't think his record is anything is be ashamed of. Depending on how you look at your portfolio, I believe you can allow for some 100% writeoffs in your stocks (just like structured warrants expiring worthless). For every Nasioncom, our friend has a few LionDIV. If you strcutured your investment to allow for such eventuality, no need to say sorry!

Dear 廖福深,

Let me explain what has transpired here on this blog.

I had been noticing that Mr. Tan Teng Boo has been rather bullish on the mass media early this year. Several articles have been quoted that Mr. Tan had declared himself to be bullish on the markets. And in his OWN subscription editorial, he had stated that he was a long term bull on the local markets and that his long term targets for the KLCI is at 2000 pts.

(ps if you see this posting here one would notice that in iCapital own words "Instead of boring our subscribers with our LONG-HELD and CONSISTENTLY BULLISH VIEWS...!" )

Which was fine with me.

That's his opinions and views as an independent investment advisor.

I am not even challenging whether his views are correct or not.

Now what I found discovered in the quarterly earnings during this very same period that he had been telling the Malaysian public he was bullish, he contradicted what he said by selling some rm50 million worth of shares.

Everything else aside, is such actions correct?

Why tell everyone one you are bullish when you are actually disposing a lot of shares?

If it wasn't Mr. Tan and it was me. Imagine me blog about Hai-O and imagine me saying that Hai-O is a wonderful stock. And while I am singing my praise to you, I sell my shareholdings in this very same. Now is this correct?

Don't you think that this shouldn't be?

Now if I am wrong, then what about Mr.Tan Teng Boo?

Let's not judge who I am but judge the actions!

Which is why
What Do You Think of ICap's Recent Disposal Of Shares Held? was posted. And then followed by More Rumblings On Tan Teng Boo's ICapital's Disposal Of Shares. Which lead to a blogger commented that Tan Teng Boo Declares Warren Buffett to be a lousy Economist! and Is iCapital Views Consistent? Is Warren Buffett a Lousy Ecomist?

Which comes to NasionCom, a stock that I had blogged a couple of times before.
NasionCom Founder Charged With Bribery!

And I was shocked to read iCap recommended a BUY call on this stock.

Why was I shocked? I knew NasionCom was a terrible stock. That was a fact.

Let me repeat what I had posted on
More on iCapital Buy Call On NasionCom

  • A lot of folks like to rate investment advisors based on their accuracy, which is bench marked against the said stock movement.

    I do have a differing opinion.

    When one is focused on benchmark issues like accuracy and the performance of the said stock, then it renders the actual usefulness of the investment analysis/report. Focus is on performance, right? So what's the difference between a report/analysis with the basic stock tipster?

    Is there any difference?

    I see zero difference then because everyone is judged on how that stock performs, which ultimately renders the analysis/report useless.

    And more so when one considers that in the market, sometimes some stocks go mysteriously higher after a report is published. Which makes one wonder if the analysis was really good or perhaps the dark force was simply stronger?

    So what do I prefer?

    I prefer to rate the analysis/report based on the reasoning why a certain call is made on the stock.

    Yes, I do not want to see contradictory buy calls made despite the glaring issues within the stock.

    In short, it's not about how the stock call or recommendation performs but how the call is made.

Yes for me, most important is how the call is made.

Look at NasionCom.

The BUY call totally contradicts the glaring weakness in the stock. How could one well known and good independent investment advisor company like iCapital not able to acknowledge the weakness in the stock?

Am I bashing without a reason?

Or am I merely pointing out what is happening here?

Is it wrong for me to point this out?

ps... I actually feel sad to see all this happening.

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP