Powered by Blogger.

Home

Someone has got a Craven!

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

By someone I mean the studios behind the remake of Wes Craven’s sadistic classic The Last House On The Left. Yes, I nearly died when I heard they’re remaking the 1972 original because it’s something that SHOULD NOT BE TOUCHED! I’m not being biased just because Craven is one of my favourite directors and, in my opinion, one of the greats of modern horror. I sincerely believe this film should not be remade because it was perfect the way it was and has become a historic film as far as horror movies go considering the sheer number of theatres and countries it was banned in due to the graphic violence and horrific themes. Okay, the camera work was a bit dodgy but The Last House On The Left is like a time capsule and I honestly can’t think of one good reason why you would want to tear apart and adapt the original. Obscure indie director Dennis Illiadis is taking the reins on this tale about a gang who, after kidnapping and butchering two teenagers, unknowingly find refuge with the parents of one of the victims -- hosts who devise gruesome revenge. Monica Potter is playing the heartbroken mother and personally I think she’s too soft an actor to handle this intense role. There’s one scene in particular I’m referring too. The only saving grace is the delightful Sara Paxton as one of the unfortunate teenage victims, Mari. I’m seriously pissed anyone decided to touch this subject material and no doubt the director will be loving how the original was already bloody, violent and gory enough for today’s Saw and Hostel market. The remake is out in Australia later this year and you can watch the trailer here.
Above: you've got to love the very kitsch cover for The Last House On The Left 20th anniversary edition :o)

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP