Powered by Blogger.

Home

G.I Goooooooo!

Wednesday, May 6, 2009

I’m feeling in a pretty good mood about blockbusters lately. Yes, I realise they're not something I get overly excited about. In fact, quite the opposite. Usually when I hear about an upcoming blockbuster you can colour me critical straight away. However, with Wolverine shallow yet surprisingly fun, the Star Trek franchise reinvigorated due Abrams’ brilliance and Terminator Salvation looking ace and just around the corner I figured now was a good time to mention another blockbuster that is on my radar. Remember G.I Joe, the little boys’ version of Barbie? Like the rights for Transformers, Monopoly and Cluedo, G.I Joe has been adapted in to a movie also. I’ve mentioned it briefly on this blog when there was casting news and a 30 second spot on the Super Bowl. However, now it’s a mere matter of months before G.I Joe: Rise Of The Cobra hits Aussie screens. Like every movie blockbuster nowadays G.I Joe: Rise Of The Cobra is an origins story on the elite military unit comprised of special operatives known as G.I. Joe who take on an evil organization (Cobra) led by a notorious arms dealer. The thing that interests me here is not only the mixed bag cast but the amount of attention given to assembling a meaty assortment of villains. Led by General Hawk (played by Dennis Quaid), the G.I Joe’s are Duke (Channing Tatum), Scarlett (Rachel Nichols), Snake Eyes (Ray Park), Ripcord (Marlon Wayans) and Heavy Duty (Adewale Akinnuove-Agbaje). The bad guys, Cobra, are Destro (Christopher Eccleston), Cobra Commander (Joseph Gordon-Levitt), The Baroness (Sienna Miller) and Storm Shadow (Lee Byung-hun). Originally Mark Wahlberg was considered for the role of Duke before execs decided they wanted someone younger for an origins story. The wickedly-good Channing Tatum was reluctant to sign up for the movie because he thought it would glorify war. However, after good friend and fellow cast member Joseph `Movie-Mazzupial-loves-you-long-time’ Gordon-Levitt got him to read the script, Tatum was on board and compared the flick to the early X-Men movies. Even dramatic actress Sienna Miller got in to the role putting on five pounds of muscle, taking advanced martial arts classes and learning to fire live ammunition. Stephen Sommers is directing and looking at his past projects (The Mummy, The Mummy Returns, Van Helsing) it’s easy to see what kind of movie we will be getting. Lots of action, lots of special effects, lots of fun and a plot that pales in significance to the first three ingredients. After the very brief tv spot on the Superbowl, G.I Joe: Rise Of The Cobra movie posters were released featuring very little except for the outline and names of specific characters and a gun or explosion in the background. Thankfully now the full trailer was released a few days ago and you can get more of a taste for the movie. Watch the trailer here. Although there isn’t going to be as much hype surrounding this and there is for dirty, dirty Transformers: Revenge Of The Fallen I’m still juiced and prepared for a guilty blockbuster pleasure. G.I Joe: Rise Of The Cobra is out in Aussie on August 6.

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP