Powered by Blogger.

Home

Please note: have run out of Twilight headlines

Thursday, December 11, 2008

I can’t believe it. After months of writing about it, now I’ve finally seen Twilight . . . and I was not disappointed! Since falling in love with the book series earlier this year, I’ve been obsessed with every scrap of news surrounding the movie, exhibit A is the sheer volume of Twilight posts on this blog. However, when the film was released in America on November 21 there was a pretty even split of negative and positive reviews. To be honest though, it wouldn’t have mattered if the reviews were similar to Gigli, I would still have gone and seen Twilight anyway and I think this is the general consensus among fans of the novel. On Tuesday, Australian Empire Magazine gave Twilight 4 out of 5 stars (which is up there with the best reviews of Catherine Hardwicke’s filmography) and that small portion of my excitement which had been taken away was again restored. It was every bit as good as I had dared hope despite a few minor flaws. One of those flaws was the fact I could barely concentrate on the movie due to a full theatre of screaming idiots who squealed when:
-a trailer started which they thought was the beginning of the movie (idiots)
-the Summit Entertainment logo appeared on screen

-the Twilight logo appeared on screen
-Bella’s narration started
-Robert Pattison/Edward Cullen appeared on screen (EVERY TIME!)
-Taylor Lautner/Jacob Black appeared on screen
-the Cullens appeared on screen
-Bella and Edward kiss
-the movie ended
-the credits started

You get the general idea. But it wasn’t the movie’s fault I just happened to catch a screening with 400 of the most annoying people on the Gold Coast. If you were one of those people at the 6.30pm screening at Pacific Fair, I hate you. I had to use ALL of my Edward Cullen-like restraint to prevent going all James your arse. The fact I had to pre-book my tickets and still line up for half an hour just to get a seat didn’t help my mood. So it’s even more impressive how impressed I was with the film given the above scenario. Most of the credit should go to Hardwicke who has shortened scenes from the book where they needed to be and added ones in for those who are unfamiliar with the subject material.

Keeping in true Hardwicke fashion she has assembled a multicultural cast incorporating every racial minority. Robert Pattison is superb as Edward and you truly believe every line, facial expression and gesture he performs. He steals the film. Taylor Lautner as Jacob Black is also great as is Billy Burke as Charlie Swan and all of the Cullen family are exceptional. The weakness here is Kristen Stewart as Bella Swan. There were moments when I though “wow, she’s a good actress, I really believed that”. Majority of the time though I was frustrated by her constant blinking which was almost as annoying as the people sitting behind me. Throw in a few over-acted scenes on her behalf and I was cringing. Who knows, Stewart might be like Daniel Radcliffe and it may take her a few films to get in to her character a bit more. She definitely had the Bella mannerisms and clumsiness down pat. The camera work is slick and it truly feels as if Hardwicke has pooled all her creativeness in to making this film. Personally, I think it has paid off. Kudos must go to Melissa Rosenberg for making the script funnier and as powerful as the original book. I loved the Victoria tie in at the end too. I’m glad I waited to see the film in a cinema, the way it was intended, and not hurriedly watched a pirated version of the film on the internet a few weeks earlier courtesy of US pirates. However, unlike the Somali kind these dudes don’t demand ransoms. The integral kissing scene is pretty steamy so I’d like to imagine what it was like before Stephanie Meyer cut it down. Pattison and most of the cast from the film have signed on for another three movies although whether a third installment, Eclipse, will be made depends on the success of New Moon. According to Entertainment Weekly New Moon shouldn’t be too far away thanks to Summit Entertainment already announcing a 2009 release date. It’s good to see they’re not making Twilight fans wait as long as Harry Potter-heads between each movie. For the best and wittiest review I’ve read so far check out: http://www.empireonline.com/

Note: I’m especially fond of the tight Grey shirts Edward frequently wears.

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP