Powered by Blogger.

Home

Twolight

Friday, December 12, 2008

I went and saw Twilight again today and despite what you may say, it’s not because I’m a crazy, obsessive fan. Okay, I am a crazy, obsessive fan but basically I missed so much of the movie last night due to the screaming kiddies I wanted to watch it again. For me it boded better the second time. I still stand by my previous statement-it was great but had its flaws. My rating is 3 1/2 stars out of 5 for the reasons I outlined in my previous post. I forget to mention how much I dug Emmet and Jasper! Particularly Jasper, I don’t really cared about the actor who played him just the on screen character. I loved the whole baseball match where he swings the bat and stuff mmmm. Also, for those people bagging out the dodgy special effects in the film . . . I agree. They do look like something straight out of a tv movie but what every one must remember is Twilight was made on a budget of only $30 million. Technically that’s the same amount of money indie flicks are made with. I’m amazed at how far they got with such a shit amount of money considering you have to pay actors, directors, producers, special effects peeps, equipment hire and try and scrape enough change together to run a decent promotional campaign in the lead up to release. When you think films like Will Smith’s I Am Legend had a budget of $180 million (which is still quite small for a Hollywood blockbuster) it really puts things in to perspective. It’s all good though because in the US alone Twilight grossed over $22 million in its opening weekend and once you tally in a global theater run profits will probably be in the $300 million mark. It looks good for the sequels, the next which is called New Moon and according to entertainment media around the world is to be directed by Chris Weitz (pictured below). Yes, unfortunately Summit Entertainment confirmed Catherine Hardwicke is moving on to other projects and is being replaced for the next film. But who is Chris Weitz you ask? He's behind such films as The Golden Compass, About A Boy and the American Pie franchise. He was also nominated for an Oscar for best adapted screenplay for his work on the About A Boy script. He has written screenplays for other flicks such as Antz and the Nutty Professor II. Apparently the lad is in final negotiations with Summit to jump on the New Moon bandbagon. Personally I’m a bit worried about this choice. I don’t like any of his films and in my eyes his only saving grace is the fact he was one of the producers on Nick and Norah’s Infinite Playlist, American Dreamz and In Good Company. I think he’ll be able to handle a big budget and the pressures of a film with a massive fanbase better than Hardwicke. For arguments sake lets say I’m undecided about the worth of Weitz in relation to New Moon . . .only time will tell.

Did anyone else notice author Stephenie Meyer’s (above) delicious cameo in the film? She’s sitting at the Carver bar with her laptop and gets delivered the veggie plate by the waitress who calls her Stephenie. I’m 99% sure its her. The camera then pans to Bella who has just walked in to the café to have lunch with her dad.

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP