Powered by Blogger.

Home

After Wednesday, but before Friday

Thursday, September 11, 2008

What day is it? Can I get a T-H-U-R-S-D-A-Y! For us civilians it’s new movie day and while I was having a good ol flick through the new releases I noticed there’s not much opening today. Okay, you got me. The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor opens but frankly, as much as I like Brendan Fraser, even he can save the film from being a complete disaster. I think the producers have gone ‘hmmm . . .what can we do to make this deteriorating franchise better than the last two and just as appealing to audiences as recent blockbusters?’ And some fag as said `hey guys! I know what to do! Let’s put every mythical creature known to man in the film for Fraser and the gang to battle and for good measure we’ll chuck Jet Li in there too.’ This last comment must have generated a round of high fives in the producer bunker because going off the trailers I’ve seen, literally every magical being EVER is feature in the movie. Minus the unicorn but I’m sure it has a brief cameo too (Charlieeeeeee). The always boring Norah Jones makes her cinematic debut alongside Jude Law, Natalie Portman, James Spader and Rachel Weisz in My Blueberry Nights which is also out today. The film has had mixed reviews and is targeted somewhere between the film festival and sentimental romance crowd. Given the relatively slow opening Thursday I’m going to take the opportunity to catch up on some movies I’ve wanted to see for a while, namely In Bruges, The Visitor, Funny Games and Son of Rambow. I’ve heard only good things. Besides that I’ve literally seen everything else screening at the momento (i.e. Hellboy II: The Golden Army, The Dark Knight, Pineapple Express, Baby Mama, Tropic Thunder, Mamma Mia, Not Quite Hollywood, Wanted, The Strangers, Taken, Make It Happen, The Bank Job). I wouldn’t mind squeezing in The Edge of Heaven either because I’m a Cillian Murphy and Keira Knightley fan. Notably I’m neglecting Bonneville and Harold and Kumar escape from Guantanamo which are strictly DVD affairs. FYI Make It Happen is one of the top five worst movies I’ve seen. I’m actually amazed at how the makers could stuff up SO many things. I mean, if not by pure fluke, at least one thing should go right. But no, the acting, the soundtrack, the dancing, the costumes, the plot, the direction, the editing are appalling. I’m sensing a front runner at this year’s Razzie awards.

Useless fact: This day marks the seventh anniversary of the terrorist attacks on the World Trade Centre. It also marks the day Mariah Carey’s film Glitter debuted in cinemas. Like two of the most iconic buildings in New York, Glitter also crashed and burned.

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP